The way forward...........

.................is it more cute kids?
How many ranges of children's stamps can we cope with?
When do we stop?
Are our artist all different enough?

When someone sends me an email about how its their dream to have their artwork made into stamps, what should I do, without giving away the ideas for the future, do you the stampers think that the world of stamps have now got enough child themed stamps. It is only 18 months since Funkykits were one of the first online stores to bring Magnolia stamps to the UK. Since then there have been several new child based stamp companies. When is there too many?

Well I would love to buy you all a coffee and a big tray of muffins and sit down and chat about this............. what's coming next?

I ask myself that question every day, sometimes I have to take a new look at things when an artists moves on to another company, I have a little panic about loosing them but am proud to have found them and pleased to have been right in recognising their talent and the ability to make their work into great stamps. But when one door closed another one always opens, there is so much talent out there, illustrators who have a little blog and dont even know the first thing about rubber stamps. When I stumble upon them in my travels and see somthing new, thats the exciting bit for me.

I was uplifted the other day when Mary sent her first batch of sketches in, I love them, they bring a smile to my face and I cant wait to see what else she comes up with. As time goes on I am more focused on what I want in a stamp. But what do you want?

Answers on a postcard please..........................or leave me a comment..............or pop in for a coffee and I will order the muffins in ...........orange or banana?

Are you in USA, fancy a stamped images swap http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12489973#post12489973

11 comments:

Wendalyn said...

I love all the artists at SugarNellies. I have been buying stamps since they have been at Funkykits and will continue to do so as long as they are there. I currently own every single Sugar Nellie stamp there and love them all. I don't think you can ever have enough "Children" stamps for the child in all of us. All people young and old enjoy cards with these images... I can't wait to see what the future brings for your company...

Fe-Fe said...

I think the current stamps you have are all adorable but I think there is a real gap in the market for some good male orientated stamps. Everyone seems to have jumped on the bandwagon for the little girl stamps and they are lovely but not so good for husbands and 10 year old+ boys especilly the ones who don't like "cute" cards.

I am spoilt for choice of stamps to use for my daughter and all her friends, it would be nice to have the same problem for my son and hubby too.

I don't know if that helps at all?

Fe x

Penny said...

Banana muffins for me please with a cup of tea :)

Personally I don't do cute but I do love the stylized and funky images. I have just bought 2 of the new Leanne Ellis stamps and I LOVE them! The children stamps are fine but for me I would like them a bit edgy without being too arty so that my friends don't 'get' them for birthday cards and so forth.

DawnMarie said...

Banana please!

Deborah said...

The only way to find out if things are super good is to test them out. Time is a good teller.

Or - for new artists showcase some of their work online and ask peoples for what they think, if it would be good for stamping etc...

Just a couple of ideas. :)

Would love to come for a cuppa and muffins, but ah, alas, I am in Australia. :)

debby4000 said...

I'm going to be no help at all but my fave Christmas stamps were the Funky Kits Snowmen ones they were a joy to colour and fun to make cards with. So I reckon you doing a great job and keep up the brilliant work

Maria said...

I love my cute stamps, and will be using them for a long time yet, but I have to say that I do wonder whether the market is now saturated with the 'cute children' type of images. I adore Leanne's new designs, and can't wait for the Gorjuss Girls. They are cute too, but with an element of sophistication, which makes them different from what else is available, so, imo, more of the same, pretty please!
Maria xx

Linanna DESIGNS said...

Hi hun, i have to say when i came across your website i was in heaven, so many gorgeous stamps on offer. I have visited frequently ever since and you always offer us something new and inspiring. I don't think we can ever have enough child themed stamps, although im sure my husband would disagree with me on that! I came across a wonderful site the other day with some gorgeous images on it, i can not think for the life of me what it was called, but i will look for it again and make a note. You may very well be interested in the talented ladies work, she was selling her images as prints and ahd some items made up using them like magnets and mirors, but sadly no stamps! well hun, thank you for all the work you put into providing us with such great stamps. I wish i lived nearer so i could drop in for a cuppa and muffin! hugs for now Linda x

craftyb said...

Oh i think your range of stamps is fab. So many different styles catering for many tastes! I love that you discover new talent - everyone's a winner! Part of the reason I love stamps is their versatility...although the images may be cute they can be used for so many occasions and for any age group...after all isn't there part of a child in all of us..?! I will always be a fan of "cute", I have loved your stamps so far and am excited for your new releases...happy new year to you all! bx

Marjolein said...

Oh gosh, The coffee and muffins sound tempting, but the trip is just a bit to far ;-)

The strength of some series of stamps (and the weakness of others) is the neutrality. Even if you call them childrenstamps, they can be very well used for adults. The stamps that do it for me have "simple" pictures and "hard" lines, no sketching. For instance Magnolia, Honey, Whiff of Joy or Maggie and Hamish. You can make them into whatever you want. I do wish that there were more male stamps. Now I use Penny Black for the guys and everything els for the girls ;)

You seem to have the feeling for it :D so go on with what you are doing. The world is a tough enough place as it is and lovely stamps make it a little bit softer every day....

craftyb said...

Hi again...a couple of things have occured to me...MEN...we need some "gorjuss" stamps for them - all ages....they're always that bit harder to create for and I think there is definitely less stamps available for them!

The other thing is sentiments especially ones which co-ordinate with your images...for example I have just ordered "have a swinging day" from another company to match the "rope swing" new stamp from elisabeth. Some stamps lend themselves to sooo many ocasions and expressions and I think it would be great to get it all in the one place!! bx