Sugar Addicts Showcase Sunday.

Good Morning Sugar Addicts.

Did you all enjoy yesterdays hop over on the Simply Sassy blog? You know I have a huge soft spot for Sassy's anyway but this set is simply gorgeous! I can't wait for mine to arrive so I can get inky :)

OK, back to what I'm here for...to shine the spotlight on a Sugar Addict, but with a difference this week.
I first saw this ladies cards over on Facebook, and I did have to do a bit of arm twisting to persuade her to let me show her cards here!
It is my pleasure to introduce to you the House of Sugar's very own Kate.

Hi my name is Kate Mellis and I work in a craft shop called Papercraft Boutique in Elgin. Most of you will know that this is the House of Sugar! I have been married to Andrew for 28 years and have two grown up daughters Kim and Ashley and a Grandson Logan who is 6 years old. One Bearded Collie called Murphy who we used to show and has been to Crufts, a rescue cat called Alfie and we've just inherited my daughters cat Mille.
I started working for Karen three years ago when she asked me if I would like a job in the shop. Wow I snapped that up, I mean who wouldn't. I have always been into crafts since I was little, knitting, sewing, crocheting and self taught florist. I started cardmaking about 5 years ago after watching the TV and realized that I could do that and found Karen at her first shop up the street. I entered a competition in the shop and lo and behold I won it, first thing I ever won apart from a raffle. 
I never really stamped before apart from embossing but my first Sugar Nellie buy was the Little Cotton Rabbits which I still use and was hooked. I only drooled over everyone else's work and eventually I splashed out and bought Copics which I love, mind you I was given a gift of Prismas from Karen for Christmas and love them too. I wouldn't say that working in the shop is what you would call hard work but it has its moments, I take classes on the Tuesday evening and sometimes on a Saturday which takes a lot of time first of all deciding what to do and then how long it will take. We have a very loyal customer base in Elgin and quite a few come to the classes on a regular basis which makes it easy to teach because most of them know me.
I am very honoured to have been asked to be on the show case for the Sugar Nellie blog and feel a wee bit guilty by not having  a blog but there is never enough hours in the day and I know that I spend far too much time drooling over all the beautiful work that is out there.  I used to clean my house within a inch of its life but now my time in my craft room is more important, although sometimes its past my bedtime before I know it.  I can't say which of the ranges of Sugar Nellie is my favourite because it changes daily but at the minute it is the Jingle bells Festive Garland because it reminds me of when I worked with flowers at Christmas and my friend and I decided to make wreaths at home to sell to family and friends.  It got out of hand after a while we had too many orders and were working morning noon and night, but hey it was fun. 
Being able to see what stamps are coming out before everyone else is fun because Mark and I get to name them sometimes, not always that they end up with that name!
Anyway that's all from me and by the time this comes out I will be on holiday so no one can take the mick out of me at work. Thanks for looking at my work x


This awesome card uses the image Christmas Garland. The addition of the garland around the image really raises it to another level...so of course I had to ask Kate where she found a stamp that goes so perfectly with the image? And...she drew it herself! Huh! Green? Me? You bet I am!

Then we have this card...

And also this one...


Two fabulous cards both made with the same Sassy image Call Me but in different colour schemes.


Oooo I LOVE this card! Carnival Balloon is one of my most favourite Sassy stamps and the orange/green colour combo is so striking.


A very classy and stylish card using the Kathy Hare stamp Little Bear.


Another stamp I luvs (a lot!) is Pippi Longsocks. She is just the prettiest, cutest fairy I've ever seen, and expertly brought to life by Kate's amazing colouring skills.

I love Kate's cards, her colouring is fabulous and of course she has great taste in her choice of stamps :)
Because she doesn't have a blog - she tells me that Karen keeps her chained up down in the bowels of the Sugar Mines for sooo many hours each day that there's no time left for her to have a blog - so please leave her some love here in the form of a comment.

Thanks for looking
Love Elaine xxx

24 comments:

The Little Stamper said...

Wow - what a beautiful set of cards! I especially love the snowman one - I am so jealous about that gorgeous hand drawn border.

I hope that we will get to see many more of your lovely cards!!

Sharon x

Christine L said...

All such beautiful cards Kate... (hope you'll see this when you're back from your hols..)... but my very favourite as always, has to be Pippi! Your colouring is superb on them all, and I love your hand drawn garland!
Hugs
Christine x

Maria Therese said...

Oh Kate it's so nice to get to "meet" you, and hear how life is at the Sugar mines :) I love your cards and maybe one day you'll find time for a blog :)

Fiona said...

yay....you have showcased Kate!! Absolutely stunning cards...I do luv Pippi..she is just the best ever!!

Next mission is to get a blog Kate so we can admire your work even more!!

Fi
x

jenny said...

Absolutely stunning cards Kate....I LOVE them all :)
Enjoy your hols x

Jenny xx

nnalorac said...

So lovely to see your cards on here Kate, your designs are always such a pleasure to view in the shop and I just love your holly garland, huh! so miffed I can't free hand draw to save my life. Time to come out of the closet girl and showcase your gorgeous cards. Carolxx

Cathy said...

Stunning selection of cards Kate Great colouring and fab layouts, love your "doddling", wish i could doodle that well!
Hugs
Cathy xx

Wiccababe said...

it's a crime that Kate doesn't have a blog - this lady's talent shouldn't be hidden away
Absolutely stunning work Kate
Debz
xx

mixamatoasties said...

Cards are gorgeous Kate and just crying out to be showcased on a blog!

Susan x

Aud said...

Wow what a lovely set of cards kate love everyone of them, wish I could draw never mind free hand that certainly isnt one of my strong points, hope you enjoy your hols Im sure its a well earned break. Aud x

The Crafty Den said...

What beautiful cards Kate. I am envious of your amazing colouring skills but even more envious of your awesome drawing skills!! Hugs, Denise x

Karen said...

Kate nobody could ever take the mick hun. :0)
And it's so wonderful to see your work her, not just what you post on Facebook. Smiles.

I'm green with envy too, and I so wish you could put some of your fabulous Doodles into Digi format hun, I'd snap them up for sure!

Just love them! You have amazing talent sweetie.xx

Vicky said...

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWW........these cards are alllllll amazingly stunning...I couldnt even pick a fave I really couldnt. Shame about not having a blog cus she could inspire sooooooooo many of us....
Its no wonder Karen has her working at the shop......I would never let her go home lol...
Fantastic work!!!!!!!

Lotsa hugs Vicky xxx

Shazza said...

woo-hoo lovely to see kate in the spotlight, well deserved too! Kate, I love your cards, you are one talented lady
xx

Chrissy said...

Fabulous cards..love each and everyone...gorgeous.

Luv CHRISSYxx

marion said...

such lovely cards. Hugs, marion

Janette said...

OMG Elaine, what a fab showcase, wow, these are all so beautiful, am drooling here...lol....brilliant work, and that Pippa is just the most adorable image...xxxx

Lou Mac said...

These cards are gorgeous Kate!! Love the one with Pippi Longsocks and that hand drawn border on the first card is TOO neat!! Really fab cards. Glad you had your arm twisted!!

xo

Paula (PEP) said...

I well understand that Kate has her hands full with all the demand we as crafters put upon the House of Sugar these days. The fact is that the service provided by Funky Kits is amazing & Team Sugar Nellie at ground level quite incredible. The colouring here is terrific & that hand drawn garland quite something - that has to be my favourite of the cards shown. I love how different the two Sassy cards though they use the same layout & image they look very different with the change of colours. I have to say that the Carnival Balloon card really thrilled me too for I love seeing orange used. But - I come back tot hat first card & just love the mistletoe with those clusters of pearls. Thank you Kate for all that you do & hope you've had a wonderful holiday.
Thanks Elaine for managing to get these cards "aired" in blogland.
Paula (PEP)

Anonymous said...

Well done Kate, at last all can see your talents.

Anonymous said...

Awesome cards!!! You need a blog!! Would love to be able to see more of your work!!!

Kath Stewart said...

imagine hiding away such fabulous talent....congrats on your spotlight kate...hope it's going to be a regular occurrence..big hugs kath xxx

Erika said...

Bout time you were on here Kate, I love your cards, all fabulous dwarling! Enjoy your break, catch you soon.
Erika. x

Macpurp said...

have seen these in real life and they are stunning! Beautiful cards!
Am also lucky enough to enjoy Kate's card classes, always fun, even the xmas boxes!

love teen xx